What does Chaplaincy mean for Rahab?
Our aim is to provide holistic well-being support and advice for women who are sexually exploited on-street in Reading.
Our Chaplaincy Outreach program enables Rahab to:
- Be a presence on the streets of Reading
- Befriend clients
- Promote sexual health and well-being
- Provide a referral pathway onto our other programmes and our partner organisations
- Empower volunteers to serve the local community
- Identify issues individuals are facing and need assistance with
What do your Rahab Chaplains do?
Our Rahab volunteer teams head out multiple times a week for our street-based night outreach in West Reading. We go out in teams of two to three people, up to four times a week. Meeting at 9:30pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, and 10pm on Fridays. The session usually finishes at 11:30pm, except on Fridays when we finish around midnight. However, on busy evenings these hours can sometimes be extended to meet the needs of the group of women we serve.
We use this opportunity to identify those being sexually exploited. The conversations we have may be long or short, but all help to build relationship. The people we approach are working, and therefore are not always able to engage in a chat, but we are able to give out supplies.
Our teams take refreshments and supplies with them, which we hand out to those we see. These include chocolate bars, drinks cans, hot drinks, wet wipes, contraception, sanitary items, rape alarms, and clothing depending on weather. These chats are an opportunity for us to talk to clients about how we can further support them.
When we make contact with an exploited person, we:
- Meet them where they’re at, seeking to build a real relationship with them.
- Demonstrate the love of God, endeavouring to remind them that they are valued, loved and cared for.
- Give her Rahab’s contact details, whether that’s a staff member’s mobile, email or social media page, they’ll be able to reach us whenever they’re ready.
- Care for them, providing a health pack, which can include toiletries, contraception, and refreshments.
- Offer prayer and support, if the individual wants us to, Rahab can help support her break free from her situation and work with our partners to provide her with safe, sustainable options for a new life.
Send us a message if you’d like to join our outreach teams, and we’ll send you an application form!